ACA Consumer Satisfaction Survey, Financial Year 2000/2001 -->
D. Data Outputs
D1 Data outputs
What are the principal outputs or data items to be produced? (D1)
Note. Refers to the main data items to be produced by the survey (eg turnover of business, satisfaction with a government program the business is participating in), how they will be cross-classified (eg by geography, industry, size, sector of business, etc) -- this could be in the form of a list of tables.
See the attached copies of the Telecommunications Performance Report 1998-99 and the Consumer Satisfaction (Special Report No. 2). The main use of the data is to report to the Minister of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts in the annual performance report. As well, another special report on consumer satisfaction will be produced, with the telecommunications industry and the general public as the target audience.
Return to top
The attached reports indicate the format of tables and graphs previously published. This year, if sample size allows, we will also be publishing cross-tabulations of satisfaction data for businesses and household by various items such as:
area (urban, rural, remote)
service provider (Telstra, Optus, etc.)
income grouping, etc.
The principal outputs to be produced are:
General satisfaction with the telecommunication industry
Identify service providers used for local, long distance and international calls
Satisfaction on billing process for local, long distance and international calls.
Opinion of price levels for various services
Satisfaction on various types of customer service.
Satisfaction on the efficiency, quality of the fault repairs
Satisfaction on new service connection/service re-connection
Types of mobile phone used, service provider, bill payment, quality of mobile service
Purposes of using Internet, bill payment, satisfaction on internet service.
Identity of Pay TV provide and satisfaction on pay TV service and
Satisfaction and experience of making calls from public phone.
D2 Use of standards
What consideration has been given to the use of standards? Please specify. (D2)
Note. Should include standard data items (such as employment, housing, etc) and standard classifications (such as industry, geography, commodity, etc.). Should not include market research processing standards (see I2).
Return to top
The ABS definition of small business is used for this survey: manufacturers with less than 100 employees and other industries with less than 20 employees.
The geographic areas of urban, rural and remote are defined by the ACA’s Customer Service Guarantee (CSG). It is a mandatory requirement of legislation (section 105 of the Telecommunications Act 1997) that the ACA report on consumer satisfaction with the CSG.
D3 Data consistency
What consideration has been given to making data item definitions consistent between repeats of this survey or across other surveys? (D3)
Since part of the ACA’s mandate is to monitor customer satisfaction, we have paid special consideration to consistency and comparability of results over time. Comparability of data over time is a key requirement of the tender Brief created by the ACA. The starting point for each subsequent survey has been the questionnaire from the last survey. About 80% of the questions are considered "core" and are asked every year. Of the remaining 20%, most are likely to continue for one or two years and then be replaced by other emerging issues of current interest. Questions covering on-going issues of interest are retained from year to year, while topics that are no longer of interest are dropped. A significant number of questions relate to matters which the ACA must report on (such as supply of carriage services, ancillary goods, billing information services, the standard telephone service, pay phones, service connections, fault repair, the meeting of appointments, etc.)
Return to top